Sausage and Kale Stuffing
- 4 T unsalted butter or alternative (Earth Balance, Coconut Oil, etc)
- 1 lb sweet Italian fennel sausage, (or faux sausage…several brands) broken into small pieces
- 3 large leeks, sliced
- 1/2 med butternut squash, peeled & diced (easier solution: package, pre-cut)
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch kale, leaves trimmed & chopped
- 1 pound stale onion focaccia, cubed (My favorite: gluten free, rosemary by Canyoh Bakehouse)
- 1 large egg (or egg replacer)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth or turkey stock or vegie broth
- 1 cup diced Parmesan cheese, plus 1/4 cup shredded; can use rice or other parm
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish or use parchment paper on a cooking sheet.
Heat 1T butter in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium heat.
Add the sausage; cook until golden brown, about 6 minutes.
Add the leeks & squash; season with 1 teaspoon each salt & pepper; cook until the leeks are soft, about 3 minutes. Add the kale, toss; cover until the kale wilts, about 4 minutes.
Add the focaccia cubes & remaining 3 T butter, toss until butter melts.
Whisk the egg & broth in bowl until smooth; stir in diced parm & 1 t salt. Pour the broth mixture over bread mixture; cook until liquid is absorbed by bread, about 1 minute.
Transfer bread mixture to prepared casserole dish. Scatter shredded cheese evenly on top & bake until golden & cooked through, about 40 minutes.
Set aside for 5 minutes before serving.
First, read the info on benefits of avoiding gluten in my episode with Gluten Free Bagels and Faux Lox. Second, watch “Forks Over Knives” for reasons to avoid animal products and a good movie to watch with family for the holidays. Next, understand that kale is one of THE MOST nutritious foods on the planet; we should all strive to get some kale in our diet every day! Anti-oxidants, anti-inflammatories, anti-cancer, detoxification…. need we say more? Eat More Kale!! Here’s an easy way!